Re: Reference in CMS to other attributes from ESS

1998-10-06 12:14:09
This paragraph was added to section 11 in CMS.

Russ

At 05:11 PM 10/2/98 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
At 04:24 PM 10/2/98 -0400, Francois Rousseau wrote:
NEW: "This section defines attributes that may be used with signed-data or
authenticated-data.  Some of these attributes were originally defined in
PKCS #9 [PKCS #9], others are defined and specified here.  Additional
attributes are defined in the Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME [ESS],
which also include recommendations on their placement.  The following
attributes are not listed in any particular order."

I belive that this would pass muster as a "non-normative" reference,
meaning that CMS would not be held up by ESS; I like that. However, I think
we should mention the MSG spec as well, since signingTime and
smimeCapabilities are also important attributes. Thus, I would change the
sendtence added to read:

Additional attributes are defined in many places, notably the S/MIME
Version 3 Message Specification [MSG] and the Enhanced Security Services
for S/MIME [ESS], which also include recommendations on the placement of
these attributes.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium