Comments on smime-cms-07

1998-11-02 00:34:38
1.  the usage of the phrase "protection content type" is inconsistant
between section 2 (general overview) and section 3 (General syntax).  For
one it is the same as the data content type for the other it is an OID.  No
suggested text since I was not clear on which one you really meant it to be.

2.  Section 6.2.2 the paragraph on recipientEncryptedKeys:  Change to
"includes a receipient identifier and encrypted key for one or  more
recipients."

3.  Section 9 - Authenticated-data Content Type:  I think I have identified
what I consider to be a security weakness.  Specifically if you create an
authenticated data object with authenticated attributes, I can remove the
authenticated attributes and come up with a stil legal authenticated data
object.  To fix this I propose that we change authenticated data in the
following ways:
  a)  In AuthencatedData macAlgorithm be changed to hashAlgorithm.
  b) autenticatedAttributes becomes a REQUIRED field (remove the OPTIONAL)
  c) a digest-value becomes a required attribute in the
autenticatedAttributes (replacing mac-value)
  d) in processing, you hash the encapContentInfo, put the has in the
authenticated attributes and MAC this value.

4.  Section 9.2 paragraph 4:  I don't understand why this paragraph exists.
It does not appear to have an analogus paragraph in the signature message
digest paragraphs.  I think this paragraph should be struck.

5.  Section 12.5.2.  DES MAC should be struck and replace with 3DES MAC.

6.  ASN Module changes:
 - ContentType is defined twice

Jim Schaad