RE: Comments on smime-cms-07

1998-11-16 17:06:50
Jim:

3.  Section 9 - Authenticated-data Content Type:  I think I
have identified
what I consider to be a security weakness.  Specifically if
you create an
authenticated data object with authenticated attributes, I
can remove the
authenticated attributes and come up with a stil legal
authenticated data
object.  To fix this I propose that we change authenticated
data in the
following ways:
 a)  In AuthencatedData macAlgorithm be changed to hashAlgorithm.
 b) autenticatedAttributes becomes a REQUIRED field (remove
the OPTIONAL)
 c) a digest-value becomes a required attribute in the
autenticatedAttributes (replacing mac-value)
 d) in processing, you hash the encapContentInfo, put the has in the
authenticated attributes and MAC this value.

I understand your proposed change, but I do not understand
the "security
weakness."  In CMS-07, two MAC values are computed.  The
first MAC value is
computed from the content, then this MAC value is encoded in
an authenticated
attribute.  The second MAC value is computed from the DER
encoded attributes.
The two MAC values should not be the same.  So, if the
attributes are removed
by an attacker, the MAC value check should fail.

If you are concerned about an attacker who is a recipient,
and thus has the
symmetic key needed to compute the MAC, then I do not think
that anything can
be done to make authenticated-data secure.

What I am looking at is more of a man in the middle attack.  If I intercept
the message, I can modify it and then send on to the receiptient after
having removed all of the attributes.  Since I have removed all of the
attributes only one MAC computation would be computed and that is the same
MAC computation as was in the attributes as the macValue.

Are yo saying that the attacker can take the value from the attribute and
place it in the authenticated-data macValue?  The value in the attribute is
exactly the one needed if there were no attributes present.  You are
correct, this is a problem.

Rick Ankney, are you out there?  Would your customers accept a hash of the
content in the attributes?