Re: X942-03 Comments

1998-11-20 09:04:05

At 08:03 AM 11/20/98 -0800, EKR wrote:
Al Arsenault <aarsenault(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com> writes:
One minor nit on <draft-ieft-smime-x942-03>:  Section 2.1.2, you don't
fully explain how "counter" works.  You note that it has an initial value
of 1, but don't indicate whether it should be incremented based on number
of bytes, number of keys generated, etc.
Fair enough.
How's the following language?

counter is a 32 bit number, represented in network byte order. Its
 initial value is 1 for any ZZ, i.e. the byte sequence 00 00 00 01 (hex),
 and it is incremented by one every time the above key generation
 function is run with a given ZZ.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com]

Fine.  This indicates both when & by how much you increment, and when you
reset to the initial value.

                                Al Arsenault

-- these are my opinions only. They do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of my employer, or of any other organization with which I have a
relationship.