Re: A New Triple-DES Key Wrap Algorithm

1999-02-02 15:14:30
At 02:55 PM 2/2/99 -0700, Bob Jueneman wrote:
Russ,

For the benefit of those of us who weren't following the discussion all
that closely, could you summarize your original submission (and the
rationale behind it), and the attack which Burt Kalisky found against it?

BTW, that's an impressive cc-list -- almost a crypto who's who. I'd add
Hugo Kwrazack and Yair Frankel, and certainly Don Coppersmith,
but I don't have their current e-mail addresses.

Bob

It is an impressive list, but don't assume that just because someone is on
the
list that they have analyzed the system.  Russ is looking for free
cryptanalysis,
and the best way to get that is to send email to everyone and hope that
someone
has nothing better to do that day.  It's a good way to have bad systems
broken,
but it is less effective at showing that good systems are actually good.

Bruce
Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis, MN  55419      Fax: 612-823-1590
           Free crypto newsletter.  See:  http://www.counterpane.com