Re: KEKRecpientInfo KEKIdentifier

1999-02-04 05:31:37
I believe that the KEKRecpientInfo KEKIdentifier should not be optional. The
recipient always needs to have a means of identifying which KEK to use to
process the received message.

Well, that's a good point, and if you were right I'd agree with you.  You're
assuming that the only thing CMS will ever be used for throughout its entire
existence is handling S/MIME messages ("process the received message").  As I
pointed out a few days ago, KEKIdentifier has no known (non-contrived) use for
things like file encryption, which 8 years of experience with PGP indicate
would be the most common use for KEKRecipientInfo.  As John Ross suggested, if
it's needed for S/MIME then mandate it in MSG or ESS, but don't force anyone
who uses CMS into using it just because S/MIME happens to need it.

Peter.