Re: Issues with S/MIME Message Specification

1999-05-19 04:26:25
I disagree totally with the idea of making strong encryption optional.
First of all, one cannot use SHOULD on matters of minimal compliance.
Second, a standard cannot be defined conditionally to the local laws: at
most, the development process of actual products, and their sales, may have
to depend on them.
Third, allowing exportable (i.e., totally useless) encryption in algorithms
and protocols required for minimal compliance will result in nobody buying
products based on that standard, opting instead for, e.g., OpenPGP, or even
de-facto standards. The right ways to avoid export restriction are:
a) Lobby your governments, letting them know that such stupid laws will
result in job losses and hamper the development of e-commerce, and have the
laws changed. This often works: France is a recent example.
b) If a) fails, develop products in places where those laws do not apply.

Deceiving the public with products which are defined "secure" (what does the
"S" in "S/MIME" stand for?), and are not, is not only unethical, but
ultimately will harm the sales and the vendor's bottom line. IETF should
steer clear from endorsing such ill-advised practices.

Enzo