Re: Compressed data type for S/MIME

1999-07-27 16:40:06
In message
<93311736716634(_at_)kahu(_dot_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz>you write:
From the "Why on earth hasn't anyone done this before?" department: I've just
spent the last hour or so adding zlib-based compression to an existing S/MIME
implementation.  All this needs to work is a new content type, CompressedData.
Compressing data before processing has so many advantages (eliminates known
plaintext, speeds up processing by slow crypto algorithms, and reduces message
size, especially for the sorts of things you'd typically want to protect
(spreadsheets, documents, etc)) and implementing it with zlib is such a no-
brainer that I don't know why noone's looked at this before.  What do people
think of the following as a new S/MIME draft?

Peter.

Jim Schaad brought this up about 14 months ago, and the consensus was
that this made a lot more sense applied on a MIME level. What actually
happened next isn't recorded :)

Andrew.