RE: Compressed data type for S/MIME

1999-07-29 09:39:32
At 09:40 AM 7/29/1999 +0100, Darren Harter wrote:
1. Are we really concerned with saving network bandwidth these days? If we are then clearly compression is essential. If we're not, why are we discussing it at all?

There is another aspect that is more relevant to non-S/MIME uses of CMS: speed of encrypting. Studies done by the IPsec folks found that the combination of compressing and encrypting with TripleDES is faster than encrypting uncompressed data. The fact that the resulting payload is smaller is obviously an additional advantage.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium