Re: ASN.1 for the Internet (was Re: Compressed data type for S/MIME)

1999-08-06 19:45:31
I'd point out that ABNF and ASCII have nothing to do with each other.  It
is just fine to define a binary protocol using ABNF.  I'd also note that it
is very helpful for the wire protocol to contain some sort of viewable
keywords for those of us that are unfortunate enough to have to view the
protocol.  I'm especially fond of the ABNF that Ryan Moats created for the
Tagged Index Object in the Common Indexing Protocol (but of course, I'm
biased).  This ABNF specifically allows for the inclusion of binary data,
as well as UTF-8 encoded characters...  So, I specifically disagree with
your point 2 below.  I can't think of anything that would be better than to
abandon ASN.1.  I don't think that there are any advantages to its use
versus ABNF.