RE: ASN.1 for the Internet (was Re: Compressed data type for S/MIME)

1999-08-09 07:30:43
I don't accept this case.

The priciple problem with ASN.1 is that there are enough people
who violently detest it that the syntax issue is continually
being revisited. We get this in PKIX about twice a year.

I certainly don't suggest rewriting ASN.1 protocols in ABNF
or any other formalism for that matter, just as I do not propose
to revisit the ABNF decision for HTTP.

Once a system is deployed it is a legacy system. It is futile
to revisit core design decisions. For the ABNF parser I wrote
I developed the formalism to match the practice and not vice-versa.

If one has the luxury of starting from scratch with no legacy
BOTH approaches (ABNF, ASN.1) strike me as defective. The designers
of SSL took the right decision in my view in choosing a formalism
which was very simple and had a direct mapping to a well supported
programming language.

Development of a formalism requires expertise but so does
programming. It is not as time consuming as some would suggest.
Certainly my experience suggests that attempting to re-use
ASN.1 is more time consuming than starting from scratch with
a less baroque approach.

Attempts to rewrite ASN.1 systems in ABNF and vice versa strike
me as equally pointless and profitless exercises.

The correct comparison to make in my view is with a defunct
programming language. I would not advise anyone to code a
new system in COBOL or FORTRAN (ASN.1) nor would I suggest
existing systems be rewritten in Java.

And of course there will always be people who claim COBOL
and FORTRAN are not defunct.

                Phill