Re: Comments on draft-ietf-smime-password-00

1999-11-19 14:00:35
Peter:

>2.  Section 2.1.  The S/MIME working group is using 88 ASN syntax.  The
>syntax in this section is not.  Please correct.

PKCS #5 uses current ASN.1 syntax and not the 1988 version, the ASN.1 used
is taken straight from the standard.

Since there are many tools that support ASN.1-1998, and there are very few tools that support ASN.1-1993, we use ASN.1-1998 in all S/MIME standards track documents. Remember that interoperable implementations from different code bases are required for progression from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard.

Russ