RE: draft-ietf-smime-idea

2000-03-03 10:56:01
Firstly, I would like to apologize for the delay of my response (I was busy
on CeBIT).

We highly respect all comments on the draft and would like to proceed in the
following way:

1. we will submit an IPR statement to the IETF and this working group very
soon

2. we will remove all sentences in the draft which could lead to the
impression of marketing; it is not our intention to misuse the draft for
marketing purposes

I would like to remark that the sentence "Organization who make already use
of IDEA for other applications also want to use IDEA in S/MIME." has been
introduced for justification. We sent already an long list of IDEA users in
industry to the SMIME working group (also Mr. Hoffman got this list, and
thus he should not say that he has never heart of anyone wanting to use
IDEA). We can proove that IDEA is widely used in Europe. According to our
experience customers in industry often like to choose a symmetric cipher as
a part of their security policy. This demand should be considered in SMIME,
and that's why we wrote the draft.

3. The short statement and reference on the security of IDEA has been
introduced in appendix B when Mr. Hoffman asked us to include such a
statement (after submission of draft verion 0). Basically, we reacted on his
doubts about the IDEA security. Anyway, we will remove the statement
"Experts in cryptography consider IDEA to be a highly secure symmetric
cipher [IDEA]" as it can be directly obtained from the stated literature.

Despite different personal opinions about the use of IDEA, we believe, the
customer's desires should be considered. We can proove that big European
companies and banks are using it, and they want to use it in SMIME as well.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

*Stephan Teiwes, iT_Security AG