RE: Triple Wrapping Survey

2000-03-10 00:17:41
Hi Russ,

I agree that S/MIMEv3 should minimize Base64 encoding when possible. As I
understand MIME, all implementations should handle binary as this is the
default unless otherwise specified.

There are some known existing implemenations which cannot correctly handle the
binary versions.  I do not know any longer how wide spread these versions are.

jim

Regards,
Aram Perez

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 7:21 PM
To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Triple Wrapping Survey

I have a few questions for implementors.  First some background, then the

questions.

The use of S/MIMEv3 Triple Wrapping leads to the incorporation of four MIME

encodings.  If each of these encodings uses Base64, then the overhead is
huge.  I am interested in ways to reduce the overhead, hopefully without
hurting IMAP usability.

1.  Can your implementation handle
      MIME( SignedData (EnvelopedData (SignedData ( MIME ))) ?

The outer SignedData has the OID for EnvelopedData in the content type, not

id-data.
The EnvelopedData has the OID for SignedData in the content type, not
id-data.
The inner Signed Data has the id-data OID in the content type.

2.  Can your implementation handle MIME without Base64 encoding?  I am
interested in using "binary" instead of Base64 to reduce the overhead.

Russ

http://www.nwlink.com