Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt

2000-11-27 15:02:26
Dave:

You did not miss anything. This is a proposed change. The Working Group has not agreed or rejected the proposal.

Russ

At 03:49 PM 11/27/2000 -0500, David P. Kemp wrote:

>       Title           : S/MIME Version 3.1 Certificate Profile Addendum
>       Author(s)       : B. Ramsdell
>       Filename        : draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt
>       Pages           :
>       Date            : 22-Nov-00
>
> In light of the expiration of the primary RSA patent, it is proposed
> that the RSA algorithm replace the DSS and Diffie-Hellman as the MUST
> implement algorithms in the S/MIME profile. This draft will describe
> only the proposed changes to the S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
> RFC [SMIMEV3CERT], and the rest of that RFC will remain identical.

Did I miss the discussion and consensus on this?

I was under the impression that RSA does not replace DSA as a
MUST-implement, rather RSA becomes an additional MUST for signatures:

> Russ Housley <housley(_at_)spyrus(_dot_)com> on 07/31/2000 05:04:52 PM
>
> Proposed way forward:  Change the mandatory to implement algorithm set to:
>      One-way Hash:  SHA-1 (no change)
>      Signature:     Both DSA and RSA (PKCS#1 v1.5)
>      Key Mgmt: RSA (OAEP)
>      Eencryption:   Triple-DES in CBC mode

The Certificate Profile should reflect the results of the last meeting
and subsequent mail list discussion.