RE: Difference between application/x-pkcs7-mime and application/p kcs7-mime?

2001-06-27 10:37:38

The x- got dropped when S/MIME became cool.  The good news is that some
clients don't recognize the non-x- version, and the even better news is that
some clients only generate the x- version.

This is one of those unfortunate things, where "being conservative in what
you send" means "send the x- version", and "being liberal in what you
accept" means parsing both.

Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Blanchet [mailto:sblanche(_at_)matrox(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:00 AM
To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Difference between application/x-pkcs7-mime and
application/pkcs7-mime?

HI,

Having read S/MIME RFCs and others ressources about S/MIME in general I've
seen
2 versions of Content-Type for CMS Entity.  I was just wandering the
difference
between the 2 Content-Type:

application/x-pkcs7-mime

and

application/pkcs7-mime

Is it the S/MIME version?  From an application stand point, when it's time
recognize S/MIME message do we have to handle both Content-Type?

Thanks