Comments to draft-ietf-smime-rfc2630bis-01

2001-06-27 08:44:44

All,

In my opinion, Russ did an outstanding job of updating this document.  I
agree with the vast majority of the proposed changes.  I have comments as
follows:

1) Section 5.1, SignedData version description:  The existing text is
confusing and could lead to multiple interpretations.  Recommend the
following:

   [*** NEW ***] version is the syntax version number.  The version
   MUST be assigned as follows:

     IF any v2 attribute certificates are present in certificates
     THEN version MUST be 4
     ELSE
          IF any v1 attribute certificates are present in certificates
           OR encapContentInfo eContentType is other than id-data
           OR any version 3 SignerInfos are present
          THEN version MUST be 3
          ELSE version MUST be 1

2) Section 5.1, SignedData certificates description:  Please delete: "As
discussed above, if attribute certificates are present, then the value of
version MUST be 3."  I don't believe that we need to repeat the version
setting algorithm in this text.

3) Section 6.1, EnvelopedData version description:  The existing text is
confusing and could lead to multiple interpretations.  I believe that Russ'
recommended solution included in his reply to Jim Schaad's comments is
correct as follows:

       "[*** NEW ***] version is the syntax version number.  The
       appropriate value depends on originatorInfo, RecipientInfo, and
       unprotectedAttrs.  The version MUST be assigned as follows:

          IF (originatorInfo is present) OR (unprotectedAttrs is present)
          THEN
             IF (any version 2 attribute certificates are present)
             THEN version is 3
             ELSE version is 2
          ELSE
             IF (any RecipientInfo structures are a version other than 0)
             THEN version is 2
             ELSE version is 0"

4) Section 6.2, RecipientInfo description:  Please delete "are" from the
following sentence: "  [*** NEW ***] All implementations MUST support the
mandatory to implement key management algorithms are specified in [CMSALG],
or its successor."

5) Section 6.2: I strongly agree that the pwri and ori CHOICES should be
included in RecipientInfo.

6) Section 6.2.4, 1rst paragraph: Replace "posses" with "possess".

7) Section 6.2.4, recommend changing PasswordRecipientInfo version value to
1.  This would cause the EnvelopedData version number to be set to 2 if the
PasswordRecipientInfo was present.  This would assist with debugging and
error reporting.

8) Section 6.2.5, 1rst sentence: Replace with "Recipient information for
additional key management techniques are represented in the type
OtherRecipientInfo."

9) Section 6.4, last sentence: Please change to: "Any of the aforementioned
key management techniques can be used for each recipient of the same
encrypted content."

10) Section 10.2.2. I strongly agree that the v1AttrCert and v2AttrCert
CHOICES should be included in CertificateChoices.

11) Section 11.1 Content Type:  Please add as last sentence of first
paragraph: "The content-type attribute value MUST match the encapContentInfo
eContentType value in the signed-data or authenticated-data."

12) Section 11.2 Message Digest: Please replace the last paragraph with the
following:

   "The SignedAttributes and AuthAttributes syntaxes are each defined as
   a SET OF Attributes.  The SignedAttributes in a signerInfo MUST NOT
   include multiple instances of the message-digest attribute.  Similarly,
   the AuthAttributes in an AuthenticatedData MUST NOT include multiple
   instances of the message-digest attribute."

13) Section 11.3 Signing Time: Please replace MAY with MUST in the following
sentence: "[*** NEW ***] The signing-time attribute MAY be a signed
attribute; it MUST NOT be an unsigned atribute, authenticated attribute,
unauthenticated attribute, or unprotected attribute."

John Pawling, John(_dot_)Pawling(_at_)GetronicsGov(_dot_)com
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC