Key Wrap Algorithms

2001-07-10 09:51:27

All:

After a fairly long debate, the consensus on key management has been reached. We seem to agree that:

   Implementations MUST support key transport, key agreement, and previously
distributed symmetric key-encryption keys, as represented by ktri, kari, and
   kekri, respectively.  Implementations MAY support the password-based key
   management as represented by pwri.  Implementations MAY support any other
   key management technique as represented by ori.

At the last IETF meeting, we agreed on the mandatory to implement algorithms. The Minutes say:

   Signature: DSA and RSA (PKCS #1 v1.5) as per Russ' proposal
   Message digest: SHA-1
   Key Management: RSA (PKCS #1 v1.5)
   Encryption: Triple-DES

But, the Minutes are silent about key wrapping.

It is my view that we should require implementations to support Triple-DES Key Wrap. This view is reflected in draft-ietf-smime-cmsalg-00. And, I think that this approach will facilitate the adoption of mail lists.

I want to hear from others. What do you think is the best MUST and SHOULD statements regarding key wrap algorithms?