RE: Password, compresion and symmetric keys -- are they CMS orS/ MIME ?

2001-07-23 09:07:59

The title (not the filename or the filename as referred to in the Document:
header at the top of the draft) is "S/MIME Symmetric Key Distribution".
Should this be CMS?

I understand the draft naming convention, which includes the working group
name, which in this case is smime, and is required.

From: Sean P. Turner
To: Blake Ramsdell
Cc: SMIME
Sent: 7/23/2001 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Password, compresion and symmetric keys -- are they CMS orS/
MIME ?

Blake,

I put S/MIME in the title only because it was produced in the S/MIME WG.
S/MIME is referred to in the symmetric key distribution ID in:

The headers: It's part of the document's title
The abstract: Where is says this mechanisms may be used to support MLAs
The introduction: As a lead in to a brief description of the differences
between symmetric and asymmetric cryptography
Paragraph 3.2.1 twice: Both as pointers to other document from the
S/MIME WG
Paragraph 9: Copies names of documents for the references.

I'm not sure which of these you think should change.

Cheers,

spt

Blake Ramsdell wrote:

snip....

In the case of symkeydist, I still don't know if that was intended for
general CMS or S/MIME, so I will defer to the author of that document
for
guidance, but there are indeed references to S/MIME.