RE: The subject line leakage problem

2001-12-27 06:07:16
All,

        I for one would be all in favor of putting in place a
fully spec'd kosher solution here.

        However the issue of introduction and backwards compatibility
need to be carefully considered. We don't want to have people not
implement the full fix because they are waiting for others to deploy.

        I would like to keep the hack on the table as an interim
patch for the time being. Certainly the sooner we stop leaking
subject lines the better

        I don't consider the security of any other headers to be
particularly serious. Routing info is disclosed as a matter of course
and the existence of mailling lists and byzantine forwarding makes
the intended recipient issue impossible to resolve.

                Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.