Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-01.txt

2002-07-08 11:05:16

(IETF-SMIME added per Francois's's suggestion)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Francois(_dot_)Rousseau(_at_)CSE-CST(_dot_)GC(_dot_)CA>
To: <blake(_at_)brutesquadlabs(_dot_)com>; <rhousley(_at_)rsasecurity(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 7:37 AM
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-01.txt

I thought that you had previously agreed that RFC2633bis ought to say that
compression [RFC 3274] MAY be applied before encryption or signing and
that
the S/MIME capability should be used to negotiate this beforehand, but I
see
no mention of this in the latest revised version of RFC2633bis.  The
optional support for compression under S/MIME might be very useful
especially for wireless environments.

Do you plan to mention compression in the next version of RFC2633bis?

I didn't see much uptake on this besides Russ saying "MAY", and I'm worried
about compatibility.  I will put a slide in my presentation about this for
Yokohama.

So that's what's called a "non-answer" ;).