RSA OAEP Public Key Identification

2002-08-01 14:00:53

At the meeting in Yokohama, we discussed the RSA OAEP draft. One of the areas that was discussed was the security considerations section, where the document recommends that a key pair only be used for one purpose. Presently, we do not have a mechanism for identifying how a key holder would like to have their public key used.

The certificate currently tells the message originator that the public key is an RSA key, and the key usage extension tells that the public key can be used for key transport. There is nothing to tell the message originator whether RSA PKCS #1 v1.5 or RSA OAEP ought to be used with a particular key. So, there is no indication to the message originator that will allow the security consideration to be implemented.

Here is my proposed solution: use a different algorithm identifier in the certificate.

I suggest that the id-RSAES-OAEP be used in the certificate subject public key info field to indicate that the public key should ONLY be used with RSA OAEP.

This proposal may make transition from RSA PKCS #1 v1.5 to RSA OAEP a bit more difficult, since it would not allow one key pair to be used with both algorithms. However, this is exactly what the security considerations recommend.

Does anyone have concerns with this approach?

If this approach is adopted, then a companion document in the PKIX working group for the proper handling of RSA OAEP (and probably RSA PSS) public keys will likely be needed.

Russ