Re: The Great nonRepudiation vs. digitalSignature Debate

2002-10-21 09:53:35

Blake:

I think that the language in RFC 3280 is fine for CA certificates.

I do think that additional guidance should be given to the recipient of a signed message. Here is my proposal.

   S/MIME receiving agents MUST NOT accept the signature of a message
   if it was verified using a certificate which contains the keyUsage
   extension without either the digitalSignature or nonRepudiation bit set.
   Sometimes S/MIME is used as a secure message transport for
   applications beyond interpersonal messaging. In such cases, the
   S/MIME-enabled application can specify additional requirements
   concerning the digitalSignature or nonRepudiation bits within the
   keyUsage certificate extension.

I think that this is a reasonable approach because it specifies a clear behavior for an S/MIME library (such as SFL), but it does not prevent application that might use such a library from imposing additional requirements on these bits.

Anyone have other thoughts?

Russ