RE: Draft Minutes

2002-12-08 21:02:14

Peter,

Yes, I would consider that to be sufficent.  I have not read your code
dealing with this issue.  Many of the versions I know about do a full
decode of the structure and would fail decode if new structures were
added.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Gutmann [mailto:pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz]
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 7:43 PM
To: jimsch(_at_)nwlink(_dot_)com; ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Draft Minutes

[Apologies if you've seen this before, one of our machines
has been quietly
 dropping outgoing mail...]

"Jim Schaad" <jimsch(_at_)nwlink(_dot_)com> writes:

There was a discussion dealing with two issues found during
interoperability
testing.  The first dealt with the fact that so far no
implementations are
known that deal gracefully with unknown RecipientInfo and SignerInfo
structures.

What's the definition of "deal gracefully"?  When this was
discussed quite
some time ago, I modified my code to ignore new structures
that it didn't
recognise, and I thought there were indications from others
that they would be
doing the same.  Is that sufficient?

Peter.