RE: Loss of Information while mapping an Internet S/MIME Message to X.400.

2003-06-17 11:27:53
Arun,

   I don't think this is a problem of loss of information, because
whatever information is sent is received in the content.  In the
scenario you describe, I think it is likely that the content would be an
RFC 822 (2822?) message.  So provided that the recipient can decode such
content, all information that the sending client intended gets through
okay.  While I don't think most X.400 UAs today will decode RFC 822
there are some that will, and I strongly believe that we should support
that scenario for architectural reasons.

   I would not be totally adverse to having a statement like those in
2633bis that says, "the sending client MAY wrap a full MIME message in a
message/rfc822 wrapper in order to apply S/MIME security services to
these headers."  However, it should be noted that this adds no
requirements (it's only a MAY).  Also, I'm not sure where to place such
a statement in X.400 transport; it's kind of out of scope.

   However, it is important to note that X.400 transport does not
REQUIRE that the innermost content be in the RFC 822 format.  That is
one reason that we don't want to make any strong associations to IPMS
content.  As the documents stand, three scenarios are supported:

        - CMS protected X.400 content (not necessarily IPMS),
transferred over X.400
        - CMS protected X.400 content, transferred over SMTP
        - CMS protected RFC 822 content, transferred over X.400
        - CMS protected other (non-822 MIME or non-MIME content),
transferred over X.400

   The problem here is that I think we want to say as little as possible
about content translation.  These drafts (and S/MIME in general)
fundamentally don't profess to provide translation, only secure
transfer.  Our scenario is that we assume that both the X.400 and SMTP
communities will agree to use a common content for interoperability
sake.  Hence the caveats in the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of the
introduction.  Admittedly, this has caused a little friction in the
IESG, but in the end I think they agreed that this is the least painful
of several unattractive alternatives.  You can't have MIXER-style
translations AND end-to-end security.

Regards,
Chris