RE: Signed Receipts and Mail Lists

2003-06-27 12:38:13

Sean,

I have had many discussions with people on this issue.  It is very
likely that an MLA would return a receipt to the originator of the
message either on initial receipt (I got it and distributed it) or after
a specific percentage of people on the list have returned receipts.
This is the only way to handle receipts in the case of a mailing list
whose memebership is hidden from senders.

This being said the problem here is that you are using a single
certificate for two distinct individuals (i.e. the two different mailing
lists) and asking somebody (the sender of the message) to try and guess
which indiviual was being refered to.  In this case each MLA should have
it's own certificate (and hopefully different key pairs) in order to
allow for distinctness of identity to be known.

Graeme,

If we adopted the solution you gave, what limits me from making
arbitrary statements about who I am in this field that then need to be
independently verified by the receipt processing code?  (I.e. what if I
put the fact that I am turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com in this field and sign with
my
jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com certificate).

jim