RE: dissemination of public encryption certificates

2003-08-14 20:32:34

At 8:05 PM -0700 8/14/03, Julien Pierre wrote:
It would be highly desirable for one protocol to be designated for the
purpose of solving these problems, as opposed to having a plethora of
different solutions and having various client programs use different
approaches, which would get us back to square one.

We are already at that square.

I believe this is relevant to the SMIME mailing list, even though
the choice and design of that protocol may not affect the SMIME message
format itself, as these are major deployment issues.

I'm not convinced that this WG is the best one for the discussion, inasmuch as it is not in our charter and the WG is supposed to wind down. On a related note, there may be a new WG starting up to discuss how to handle certificate management in IPsec (the IPsec WG has failed worse than S/MIME on certificate issues). It might be interesting to have a single WG that covers both issues.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium