RE: dissemination of public encryption certificates

2003-08-14 11:16:50

Leaving aside who supports what and why, don't understand the
implied conflict between xkms and scvp.  They seem to do two
different things -- I want to find a cert for
helm(_at_)fionn(_dot_)es(_dot_)net
to send email to that entity; I have a cert from
helm(_at_)fionn(_dot_)es(_dot_)net --
what is it good for?  I didn't think SCVP would help much with
the first, and I clearly don't see what XKMS would do with the
second question.  Would like a better understanding of this.

Thats quite a good description of SCVP.

XKMS does not answer that question because I can't think of a situation
where is would be of interest. The certificate is simply a data object that
is created to establish the trustworthiness of a key. Applications don't ask
'what is this good for?', they ask 'how do I do this task?'.

                Phill