RE: PKI and S/MIME

From: Steve Hole [mailto:steve(_dot_)hole(_at_)messagingdirect(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 10:42 AM
To: Blake Ramsdell
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: PKI and S/MIME

2. Client support.   Basically this means that Outlook,
Outlook Express,
Netscape (and down the list) of clients have to support it.
It means a
CSP for the Windows twins and a module in the new Netscape/Mozilla
security API.

Of the two, the second is the hardest.   Policy, usage and
deployment of
S/MIME and PKI is very much shaped by the implementation of
the clients.
Any changes have to propogate through the clients to be useful.

There is no miracle that I can see that wouldn't require modifying the
clients, so we're already signed up for this regardless of what
direction we might go in, I think.