Re: PKI and S/MIME

2003-08-26 08:53:29

Phill,

There are two ways the problem may be solved.

The simplest solution is that the domain owner appoints a single CA for the
entire zone and simply directs all XKMS requests to the XKMS server run by
the CA.

The second solution is that the domain owner runs a non-authoritative Locate
service locally. XKMS clients that register certificates with the CA of
their choice can then in turn register the certificate issued by the CA with
their local XKMS locate service.

In this second application the XKMS service may choose to impose some form
of validation constraint on the certs that it accepts. For example only
accepting certs from a limited number of CAs - or it may not.

This specification does not provide this level of details.

I have read the XKMS document (I would not call it " a specification" - see later) and provided 35 comments during the last call period.

It would have been appropriate to provide these kinds of details but apparently the XKMS WG decided to be as general as possible, to provide *examples* instead of *specifications* and therefore the XKMS document is left open to many different interpretations. :-(

This may be what some vendors are looking for: claiming *compatibility* with XKMS, while in reality each vendor will be non-interoperable with any other vendor and will have its own concept of trust (hidden and different from any other vendor).

Denis

Incidentaly XKMS may also be used to register PGP keys or keys in
alternative PKIs. It is a key centric PKI, not a token centric one.

Storing end-user certs or keys in the DNS is a lousy idea for several
reasons. First the DNS is a machine configuration infrastructure and not a
user configuration infrastructure. Storing user information in the DNS
requires an administrative interface with a new constituency. Ain't going to
happen. Moreover the DNSSEC spec itself is still not in a deployable state,
or at least the IETF version of it is not.

Storing certificates in LDAP is a lousy idea. LDAP is an internal enterprise
resource. Enterprises are not going to expose LDAP data in border
directories in significant numbers. It is not just the security issue, cost
plays a factor. LDAP is not a simple protocol, it is would be completely
overspecified for the job of a cert repository if the features LDAP provided
were relevant to the task.

We considered certs in the DNS and LDAP before designing XKMS and rejected
them. Both technologies have been available for at least 6 years with
negligible uptake. We needed a new protocol because there was no acceptable
existing solution. Sometimes designing a new protocol from scratch is better
than attempting to use an inappropriate one.

                Phill