RE: Determining if a message has multiple layers without processing any of them

2003-09-10 17:47:42

Darrell:

Please take a look at RFC 2634, section 2.9. The outer-most CMS wrapper should tell what content type is contained in the inner-most wrapper. Does this help, even though it is much delayed?

From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 7:43 AM
To: 'ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org'
Subject: Determining if a message has multiple layers without processing any of them

Hello,

I am currently attempting to determine if there is anything in the S/MIME standard that would allow me to determine if a message was, for example, signed then encrypted, without processing any of the security layers.

My understanding of the smime-type parameter is that it only applies to the current layer of security, so for example, a message that was signed and then encrypted will have an outer smime-type of enveloped-data with no clue that there is a signature layer within.

Any insight into this is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Darrell