RE: Determining if a message has multiple layers without processi ng any of them

2003-09-10 19:37:11

Russ,

Any reply helps, as it opens up valuable discussion on how various
implementers use the standard.

In my case, I was looking for a MIME parameter to identify cryptographic
message construction beyond the outermost layer.  Such a mechanism would
permit software to distinguish, for example, encrypted messages from signed
then encrypted messages, without having to do any expensive cryptographic
processing (and without having to transfer the cryptographic attachment from
a remote folder).  I guess what I was hoping for was an smime-type value
that could represent multiple S/MIME layers.

ContentHint doesn't meet the requirements as it is a signedAttribute and
would require at least some cryptographic processing to obtain.
Furthermore, a signedAttribute does not help in the case where the outer
layer is an encryption layer.  Adding an extra outer signature layer for the
sake of including a ContentHint may be prohibitive with respect to overall
message size.

I do appreciate the response.  Thank you.

Darrell