Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt

2004-03-16 14:59:04

Dear S/MIME WG:

Yes, we are making another round of updates to CMS. I expect them to be very minor. The changes are described in Section 1.2, which says:

   This document obsoletes RFC 3369 [CMS2].  As discussed above, RFC
   3369 introduced an extension mechanism to support new key management
   schemes without further changes to the CMS.  This document introduces
   a similar extension mechanism to support additional certificate
   formats for the verification of digital signatures without further
   changes to the CMS.  Backward compatibility with both RFC 2630 and
   RFC 3369 is preserved.

I expect to fold in all of the changes needed to correct the errata posted on the RFC Editor's web site in the next version. Also, Peter Gutmann has asked for some clarification of countersignature. Finally, Jim Schaad has suggested that support for "other format" revocation status information is appropriate since "other format" certificates are being supported.

I do not expect these changes to take long. I will post -01 before the end of the week.

Russ

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
        Author(s)       : R. Housley
        Filename        : draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt
        Pages           : 53
        Date            : 2004-3-16

This document describes the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  This
   syntax is used to digitally sign, digest, authenticate, or encrypt
   arbitrary message content.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt