RE: RE: Last Call: 'S/MIME Version 3.1 Message Specification' to Proposed Standard

2004-04-22 19:27:10

Blake,

Perhaps the best case for the "From mangling" problem being prevalent is
found if you look at the IETF-S/MIME archive page and look at the first
message I sent:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/mail-archive/msg01800.html

You will see the second complete paragraph begins with ">From".  I sent it
as "From".  So, whatever mail transfer agent received this message and
posted it to the archive was subject to this problem.

For the most part, any MTA system which uses the classic unix mail spool
will suffer from this problem.  Exim and sendmail both have options to turn
on "From escaping", and the common recommendation is typically to enable
this option.  (Details at bottom).  Generally, the majority of UNIX,
Solaris, BSD, and Linux based mail servers I have encountered suffer from
this problem.

Additionally, this problem occurs in unexpected places due to the prevalence
of HTML-enabled email applications, which send both HTML and plain-text
versions of email messages.  Although the word "From" may not appear at the
beginning of a line in the message, due to linebreaks being inserted by the
mailing application when sending, it might end up there anyway.  This can
get munged by an MTA, and it is often very difficult to determine that this
is what caused a digital signature to not be verified.  (The HTML gets
displayed to the reader and wasn't modified--the plaintext is what got
mangled.)

I think that adding the text from RFC2015 is an easy way to cover this
problem.  It states that handling this is "not required" but "generally a
good idea".  I invite you and the rest of the ietf-smime group to read about
this and consider it before we finalize son-of-2633.  Thanks,

--Peter Hesse

Links to additional information:
---------------------------------
Sendmail configuration:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.8/op-sh-5.html#sh-5.4
E        Escape lines beginning with From in the message with a `>' sign.

EXIM configuration
http://www.us.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_15.html#SEC443
escape_string (appendfile)
Type: string
Default: ">From "

On FAQs.org, the Linux Network Administrators Guide
(http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x-087-2-mail.message-format.html),
there is the quote:
"If you look into a local mailbox file, you may see each mail message
preceded by a "From" line (note: no colon). This is not an RFC-822 header;
it has been inserted by your mail software as a convenience to programs
reading the mailbox. To avoid potential trouble with lines in the message
body that also begin with "From," it has become standard procedure to escape
any such occurrence by preceding it with a > character."

| Peter Hesse                    pmhesse(_at_)geminisecurity(_dot_)com     |
| Phone: (703)934-2031         Gemini Security Solutions, Inc.  |
| ICQ: 1942828                     www.geminisecurity.com       |
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been
a statue set up in honor of a critic." --Jean Sibelius