RE: RE: Last Call: 'S/MIME Version 3.1 Message Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: Blake Ramsdell [mailto:blake(_at_)brutesquadlabs(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 8:21 PM
To: 'Peter Hesse'; 'Russ Housley'; 'ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org'
Subject: RE: RE: Last Call: 'S/MIME Version 3.1 Message
Specification' to Proposed Standard

In any case, the current path is a non-normative paragraph as
Paul suggested, which covers MTA munging in general.

You know what? From section 3.1:

<verbatim>
A single procedure is used for creating MIME entities that are to have
any combination of signing, enveloping and compressing applied. Some
additional steps are recommended to defend against known corruptions
that can occur during mail transport that are of particular importance
for clear- signing using the multipart/signed format. It is
recommended that these additional steps be performed on enveloped
messages, or signed and enveloped messages in order that the message
can be forwarded to any environment without modification.
</verbatim>

I think this is completely adequate and exactly covers the case we're
discussing here.

Blake