RE: SMIME Capabilities in X.509 Certificates

2004-06-18 08:15:55

Yes,

You have summarized this well.

This work will not impact any S/MIME message profiles, but we may
consider addressing this new extension in the Certificate Handling
document (or future version of it).

/Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: Blake Ramsdell [mailto:blake(_at_)brutesquadlabs(_dot_)com]
Sent: den 17 juni 2004 21:24
To: Stefan Santesson; 'smime mailing list'
Cc: 'smime chair'; 'smime chair'
Subject: RE: SMIME Capabilities in X.509 Certificates

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Stefan
Santesson
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 7:24 PM
To: smime mailing list
Cc: smime chair; smime chair
Subject: SMIME Capabilities in X.509 Certificates

It would thus improve the situation if CAs, especially enterprise
CAs,
that knows or even have the capability to dictate the capabilities
of
users, could include the PKCS#9 SMIMECapabilities attribute in
certificates.

OK, so as far as I can tell, what's being asked is as follows:

* Modification of the ietf-smime charter to allow for the discussion
of
a profile of the SMIME Capabilities extension to be included in X.509
certificates

* The actual discussion of such a thing on the ietf-smime mailing list

* Creation of one or more drafts to summarize the consensus,
ultimately
resulting in one or more RFCs in the S/MIME working group

This all sounds like stuff we can do. If there's something I'm
missing,
someone point it out, otherwise it seems reasonable to undertake this
work in the working group.

One other thing we should probably discuss is whether or not this
effort
has any impact on S/MIME message processing, and if we need to address
that.