Re: Charter Modification

2004-09-02 09:13:33

Anders, et al,

I'm working with the "competition", i.e. the Open Group.  We have indeed
just launched a certification program for domain encryption and signing
based on a profile of S/MIME.  This work was done independently of, but
highly conscious of, IETF efforts in the area.  In fact, the profile used by
the program was authored by Blake Ramsdell, and we have every intention of
seeing it promulgated as widely as possible.

There are definite shortcomings in the program as it exists today,
primarily, as has been pointed out, in the area of key distribution.  The
current specification leaves this as a fundamentally manual process.  Over
time, as S/MIME gateways proliferate, we hope that the NEED for a more
scalable mechanism develops, but for now penetration of this technology is
so sparse that the more urgent need is to have products that can
interoperate on the mail and key exchange level at all.

I encourage all who are interested in this area to consider attending an
Open Group session on this at one of their meetings.  The next meeting is in
Berlin toward the end of September, but it will be primarily informational
with respect to the gateway certification program.  The following meeting,
in October in New Orleans, will have significant discussions on "v2" of the
certification program.  Please visit http://www.opengroup.org/messaging for
more information.

In sum, the Open Group considers itself IN NO WAY competitive to the IETF,
and we would welcome participation from all interested parties.

-ben-