RE: SignedAttribute for Mime-Type

2005-12-13 15:06:58

Alicia:

I was just responding to:

"The data being signed must remain in binary form,
it is too large to do any type of text encoding
such as base64, in order to just specify S/MIME
related MIME-Type text headers."

Of course, there is no need to text encode the
binary data to use S/MIME, so the size of the
binary data need not be a factor.  The overhead
can be only the header and boundary octets (which
happen to be 7-bit).

We are also using CMS for a "non-e-mail" application
but chose to use MIME encoding (with binary transfer
encoding) since it provided a number of advantages,
including the ability to bind the content type to
the signature (as per your second post I think...).

I understand that you have an application where you
do not wish to MIME encode the content and would
prefer (some) functions available from MIME to be
available directly with CMS.

In our specific case we avoid detached signatures -
this was not desirable - so the issues you raise
in your follow-up posting we did not need to consider.

We just mandated that the data formats at the input
and output of the CMS processes be MIME encoded
(but allowing binary transport).  This way we could
use the MIME headers to identify transfer encoding,
content type, private header extensions, etc. at the
input and output of the secure channel, knowing that
the headers are not changed in transit (this allows
the transfer of additional secure "out of band"
signalling between the applications & use the MIME
standard for that signalling).  So in our case
the trusted timestamp would be over the MIME encoded
data including headers.  The MIME overhead was
considered to be small compared with the benefits of
sticking with a fairly widely used MIME standard.

But then again, one size does not fit all
(and I agree that having MIME text mixed with CMS ASN.1
is a bit odd and perhaps peculiar to e-mail applications.
I also agree that CMS Section 4 could be clearer, but
there are a lot of e-mail apps which assume MIME ...),

Cheers,

Tony