Fwd: I-D Action:draft-hoffman-cms-new-asn1-00.txt

2007-11-08 14:18:55

Greetings again. Jim Schaad and I have created a draft that contains revised ASN.1 modules for some of the standards-track RFCs for S/MIME. These modules conform to ASN.1 2002. We want to see if people are interested in bringing the S/MIME specs up to the new ASN.1 now that there is an open source, freeware ASN.1 compiler for ASN.1 2002, a2c (see <http://code.google.com/p/a2c/>).

This is definitely a first draft. There is a list of issues that we want to address, and we expect more issues to come up in the WG. Please review the draft and let us know what you think. FWIW, there is a parallel draft for PKIX.

        Title           : New ASN.1 Modules for CMS and S/MIME
        Author(s)       : P. Hoffman, J. Schaad
        Filename        : draft-hoffman-cms-new-asn1-00.txt
        Pages           : 32
        Date            : 2007-11-08

The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) format, and many associated
formats, are expressed using ASN.1.  The current ASN.1 modules
conform to the 1988 version of ASN.1.  This document updates those
ASN.1 modules to conform to the 2002 version of ASN.1.  There are no
bits-on-the-wire changes to any of the formats; this is simply a
change to the syntax.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-cms-new-asn1-00.txt

--Paul Hoffman, Director