RE: I-D Action:draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt

2008-01-10 08:26:15

Hi Peter,

On the definition of Auth-Enveloped for hash-based MAC or other MACs, I have
several comments:

1. In section 3, change KEK( master_secret ) || HMAC( encrypt( data ) ) to KEK(
master_secret ) || encrypt( data )  || MAC( encrypt( data ) ). There is no
description to state that HMAC's output includes its input.

2. On the generation of CEK-K and HMAC-K, I don't see strong case that the
method describe in the draft should be adopted. One call to a KDF to generate
both keys from a master key is much simpler and this method is also used in
many other standards such ISO 18033-2.

3. One may want to use other MAC methods instead of HMAC in considering the
security of hash functions.

I'd like to suggest the following generic definition following ISO18033-2's DEM
definition.

Following the CCMP ang GCMP definitions for Auth-Enveloped-Data:

ContentEncryptionAlgorithmIdentifier ALGORITHM ::={
 { OID id-aes128-CCM PARAMS CCMParameters } |
 { OID id-aes128-GCM PARAMS GCMParameters } |
 { OID id-data-encapsulation PARMS DEMParams } |
 ... -- Expect additional algorithms --
}

DEMParams ::= SEQUENCE {
 keyDerivationFunction KeyDerivationFunction,
 encAlgo      SymmetricCipher,
 macAlgo      MacAlgorithm }

KeyDerivationFunction ::= AlgorithmIdentifier {{ KDFAlgorithms }}
KDFAlgorithms ALGORITHM ::= {
 { OID id-PBKDF2 PARAMS PBKDF2-params} | -- For password based authenticated
encryption
 { OID id-kdf-kdf1 PARMS HashFunction } |
 { OID id-kdf-kdf2 PARMS HashFunction } ,  -- For the schemes with the master
secret generated by the key transport or key agreement method
 ... -- Expect additional algorithms --
}

SymmetricCipher::= AlgorithmIdentifier {{ SymmetricCiphers }}
SymmetricCiphers ALGORITHM ::= {
 { OID id-aes128-cbc PARMS AES-IV } ,
 ... -- Expect additional algorithms --
}
AES-IV ::= OCTECT STRING

MacAlgorithm ::= AlgorithmIdentifier {{ MACAlgorithms }}
MACAlgorithms ALGORITHM ::= {
 { OID hMAC-SHA1 PARMS NULL } ,
 ... -- Expect additional algorithms such as OMAC or EMAC
}

Regards,

Michael Cheng