Seeking comments on draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1-00.txt and draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1-00.txt

2008-01-10 15:57:36

I would like to send this to the S/MIME and PKIX mailing lists. Thoughts?

--Paul

Greetings again. Jim Schaad and I have produced these two documents as WG items, based on the discussion last month in Vancouver. They include corrections to our original personal drafts, and some new modules. We actively seek comments on these two drafts.

One of the biggest questions is, which RFCs should and should not be in the draft? This breaks down into some sub-questions:

- Should we include only standards-track RFCs? What about Informational RFCs that came from a WG or were heavily vetted by a WG?

- Should we include RFCs that could benefit from new object classes but do not actually need to be updated in order to comply with the new ASN.1? Asked another way, should a module that did not contain an ANY be included?

- Should we create a module that is just the OIDs assigned across all the other modules? Should we create two (one for S/MIME, one for PKIX), or just a single OIDs module?

Again, we look forward to the discussion.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium