Re: Please review draft-housley-internet-draft-sig-file-00.txt

2008-01-23 13:56:29

Blake:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  Where is the MIME type in my specification?

Russ

At 03:19 PM 1/23/2008, Blake Ramsdell wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:40:24PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> While strictly not CMS related (is there a more appropriate mailing list
> to discuss the draft?), I wonder whether using *.sig as the extension
> for detached CMS signatures is standardized?

RFC 3851 (the S/MIME message spec) indicates the use of ".p7s" for detached
signatures in section 3.2.1:

] 3.2.1. The name and filename Parameters
]
]    For the application/pkcs7-mime, sending agents SHOULD emit the
]    optional "name" parameter to the Content-Type field for compatibility
]    with older systems.  Sending agents SHOULD also emit the optional
]    Content-Disposition field [CONTDISP] with the "filename" parameter.
]    If a sending agent emits the above parameters, the value of the
]    parameters SHOULD be a file name with the appropriate extension:
] ...
] application/pkcs7-signature (SignedData)                .p7s

In the old days I made a .p7s handler for Windows so if you double-clicked on
a .p7s file, it would look for another file with the same base filename and
validate the signature on it. Not sure if this practice is common with
contemporary agents.

Blake Ramsdell | Sendmail, Inc. | http://www.sendmail.com