Re: Please review draft-housley-internet-draft-sig-file-00.txt

2008-01-24 01:11:46

pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz (Peter Gutmann) writes:

Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

You raise an important consideration.  I do not know the answer.  Do others?

The de facto standard for classic PGP is .asc (for ASCII-armoured detached
sigs).  GPG used to use .sig, but I don't know if it still does.

GnuPG uses *.sig for detached binary signatures, and *.asc for ASCII
armored.  GnuPG still does this, all releases of my projects are signed
with a *.sig file.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was inherited from
original PGP, but I don't know for sure.

What's wrong with using the traditional .p7s?

I would prefer that as well, unless there are good reasons not to.

/Simon