RE: S/MIME v3.2 IDs key size text

2008-05-02 11:57:04

Sean:

I think the minimum supported size needs to be 2048 because:

1) Since at least April 2007 (over a year ago) Verisign has been issuing certs
with 2048 keys (I believe this is selectable when enrolling) (although the root
cert is only 1024!).
2) NIST is recommending 2048 by end of 2008 for signatures and key transport for
some apps [SP-800-78-1 Table 3.1].
3) Many/most hardware tokens (e.g. Safenet, Gem, Aladdin) are supporting 1024
and 2048 (only).

As far as going larger than 2048, in my brief survey, while there appears to be
a small level of interest in 3072 (and even 4096), beyond that many appear to be
recommending a switch to ECC because of the exponentially rising power/cpu costs
for larger RSA sizes (e.g. NSA Suite B).

So I would suggest making 2048 and smaller mandatory. And using a sentence like:
" Note that receiving agents may see signatures whose key length is longer than
2048
 bits in the future, and support for lengths of 3072 and 4078 SHOULD be provided

 to verify those signatures."

Or

 "... for lengths up to and including 4078 SHOULD ..."

to address optional support.

Tony

Sean P.