Re: S/MIME v3.2 IDs key size text (resend, no signature)

2008-05-12 14:45:38

At 3:51 PM -0500 5/12/08, Timothy J Miller wrote:
On May 12, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

Only somewhat similar. Tony's proposed changes has a "SHOULD inform" and a "SHOULD provide a warning". The quoted test is "SHOULD provide alternate processing" which may be displaying a message. That's a big difference.

Yet the very next paragraph says:

"""
A receiving agent SHOULD display a subject name or other certificate details when displaying an indication of successful or unsuccessful signature verification.
"""

Sounds the same to me.

Reading that quoted sentence, can you see that the "SHOULD" does not apply when not "displaying an indication..."? That sentence does not mandate showing anything. If there is something in an S/MIME document that mandates "showing" or "warning", it is an error. We spent years (well, now a decade) working on this so that a conformant implementation does not need to have a UI.

Here's the thing: You're advocating interpreting the spec as purely a protocol spec. If that's what you're after, then that's a bigger issue than trading barbs over key length recommendations. There are a number of clauses that require UI implementation that need to be struck out (or at least moved to the security considerations section).

Struck out, definitely. By all means point them out. I've read this too many times to find them, I guess.

But here's my problem with that thinking: S/MIME isn't just a protocol, it's a ceremony. There's an fundamental UI aspect to ceremonies.

I disagree strongly with the former while agreeing strongly with the latter.

This needs to be dealt with properly and *prominently* or we'll end up with implementations that don't just *allow* bad things to be done, but that *mislead users* into thinking things are true about messages that just aren't.

That "misleading" will happen regardless of what the spec says. It already happens now, and it happened before the IETF took over S/MIME. And it's not just S/MIME: nearly every security protocol the IETF has developed has the same problem. It's in the nature of security and users and vendors.

If you want to write a BCP for implementers, that's great. This mailing list would be a great place for it to be discussed. This spec is not a BCP: it is a standard that needs to be consistent on both interoperability and security.

Moving all UI-related issues or security related recommendations to a separate section lowers their visibility, and that's not a good thing IMHO.

It definitely lowers their visibility, and it's also the way we usually do things in the IETF. We've done it for over a decade for much higher-profile security protocols such as TLS and IPsec as well.