RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-3850bis-04.txt

2008-07-28 13:48:03

Other things Jim requested offline:
 - Point to PKIXALG as opposed to CMSALG, which makes sense since this is
the CERT ID.
 - Add back in changes from v3 to v3.1, which also makes sense because the
section should not have been removed.

spt
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Schaad [mailto:ietf(_at_)augustcellars(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 2:43 PM
To: Sean P. Turner; 'Blake Ramsdell'
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-3850bis-04.txt

Comments on the draft.

In section 4.4.3, I find the following text confusing:

End-entity certificates contain an extension that
  constrains the certificate from being an issuing authority
  certificate (see Section 4.4.2).

I believe that this text might be better as it clarifies what
is being stated.  I.e. it is not the fact that basic
constraints is being used which actually does the mentioned constraint.

End-entity certificates contain the Key Usage extension which
restraints the end-entity from using the key to perform
issuing authority operations (see
4.4.4)

Also the previous comment (on 3851bis) on key sizes > 4096
should be applied to this document

jim