RE: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-rfc3851bis-05.txt

2008-09-17 16:03:22

It's been pointed out that we explain why the RSA and DSA key sizes are
different in draft-ietf-smime-rfc3851bis and not in
draft-ietf-smime-rfc3850bis (i.e., the standard isn't yet defined).  To
address this we should replace the suggested draft-ietf-smime-rfc3850bis
security paragraph as follows (add three new sentences to the end):

The 4096-bit RSA key size requirement for certificate and CRL verification
is larger than the 2048-bit RSA key sizes for message signature
generation/verification or message encryption/decryption in [SMIME-MSG]
because many Root CAs included in certificate stores have already issued
Root certificates with 4096-bit key.  The standard that defines comparable
key sizes for DSA is not yet available.  In particular, [FIPS186-3] only
defines DSA key sizes up to 1024 bits.  A revision to support larger key
sizes is being developed, and once it is available, implementors ought to
support DSA key sizes comparable to the RSA key sizes recommended in this
specification.

spt

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Turner,
Sean P.
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 6:22 PM
To: 'Russ Housley'; ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-rfc3851bis-05.txt

More than one person has asked about the different key sizes
in draft-ietf-smime-3850bis and draft-ietf-smime-3851bis.  To
save people searching through the archives, we should add some
text to the security considerations to address the following
two issues: 1) Why don't the DSA and RSA key sizes match up in
terms of security strength and 2) Why is 4096 bits the upper
bound in draft-ietf-smime-3850bis (CERT) while the upper
bounds in in draft-ietf-smime-3851bis (MSG) is 2048.

1) The reason for the DSA key size recommendations not being
the same as RSA key size recommendations is that FIPS 186-3
only defines key sizes up to 1024.  With no
informative/normative reference for us to point to we can't
suggest DSA key sizes greater that 1024.  So in
draft-ietf-smime-3851bis, I suggest the following change be
made to say that when NIST does publish something implementers
ought to support the larger key sizes:

Old:

The choice of 2048 bits as the RSA asymmetric key size in this
specification is based on the desire to provide 100 bits of
security.  The choice of 1024 bits as the DSA, and DH
asymmetric key size in this specification is based on the
desire to provide 80 bits of security.  These key size seems
prudent for the Internet based on Section 4.3 of [STRENGTH].
There are other environments (e.g., government, financial, and
medical) that may consider this key size to be inadequate.
Likewise, there are other environments that may consider this
key size to be excessive.

New:

The choice of 2048 bits as the RSA asymmetric key size in this
specification is based on the desire to provide 100 bits of
security.  The standards to offer the same level of security
for DSA and DH are not yet available.  In particular,
[FIPS186-3] only defines DSA key sizes up to 1024 bits.  A
revision to support larger key sizes is being developed, and
once it is available, implementors ought to support DSA key
sizes comparable to the RSA key sizes recommended in this
specification.  The key sizes that must be supported to
conform to this specification seem appropriate for the
Internet based on [STRENGTH].  Of course, there are
environments, such as financial and medical system, that may
select different key sizes.  For this reason, an
implementation MAY support key sizes beyond those recommended
in this specification.

2) With respect to the 4096 in draft-ietf-smime-rfc3850bis and
2048 in draft-ietf-smime-rfc3851bis, the discussion went
something like this: a) draft-ietf-smime-3850bis only
addresses certificate/CRL validation while
draft-ietf-smime-rfc3851bis addresses signature
generation/verification and encryption/decryption b) 4096
certificates are already in the Mozilla and MS cert store.  To
make sure people understand the difference in
draft-ietf-smime-rfc3850bis, I suggest adding the following to
its security
considerations:

The 4096-bit RSA key size requirement for certificate and CRL
verification is larger than the 2048-bit RSA key sizes for
message signature generation/verification or message
encryption/decryption in
[SMIME-MSG:draft-ietf-smime-rfc3851bis] because multiple
certificate stores already include Root certificates with
4096-bit keys.

spt