Maximum length in octets of messages that can be hashed

2009-03-05 09:27:29

Hello Ietf-Smime,

  Secion 3.6.1 of "SEC 1: Elliptic Curve Cryptography"
http://www.secg.org/download/aid-385/sec1_final.pdf defines

"hashmaxlen" as "the maximum length in octets of messages that can be hashed
using Hash".

  Where can I find the maximum lenght of message for SHA-1, SHA-224(etc). I've
searched through fip180-1 and didn't find any limitation. ANSI-X9.63 also
imposes the limitation. Why then the authors ANSI-X9.63 did define the
hashmaxlen limitation if there is no such limitation practically?

--
Best regards,
Maxim Masiutin                          mailto:max(_at_)ritlabs(_dot_)com