RE: Another Potential Work Item

2009-05-08 14:51:23

Yes,
it would be useful to have a comprehensive reference to these attributes.
(It would be nice in the future to use a registry for this, to allow timely
updates!)

Tony

Turner
| Sent: May 6, 2009 5:29 PM
| To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
| Subject: Another Potential Work Item
|

| I have had a new draft posted as an individual draft.  I
| would like the working group to consider adopting the draft
| as a WG item.
|
| http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-turner-additional-sm
imecaps-00.txt

provides a list of SMIME capabilities.  Some are already contained in
RFCs and some are not.  What I'm trying to figure out is whether we
should relax the requirements in S/MIME MSG (all the way back to RFC
2311, 2633, 3851, and 3851bis) that say "In the event that there are no
differentiating parameters for a particular OID, the parameters MUST be
omitted, and MUST NOT be encoded as NULL."  I think many implementations
and a few RFCs didn't follow this requirement, e.g., ECDSA, ECDH, ECMQV
in RFC 3278 and RSAES-OAEP in RFC 3560.  We'd also like to lock down
what implementations do for RSA with *.

spt