Re: [smime] [saag] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-turner-md2-to-historic-00.txt]

2010-06-17 12:50:37
Hi Simon,
At 06:31 10-06-10, Simon Josefsson wrote:
1) MD2 is not on the standards track, it is Informational.  I agree with
   wishes to move "poor" documents from the Standards Track to Historic,
   but I'm not sure I see such a big difference between having a "poor"
   document as Informational or Historic.  Especially for a crypto
   algorithm, which the IETF typically does not put on the standards
   track at all.  Is there some precedent for moving Informational to
   Historic?

There's RFC 4223, for example, that reclassifies a non-Standards Track document to Historic. This is more about saying that MD2 should not be used and "Historic" is generally the way to say that.

Regards,
-sm